Child license - who gets the permission from the school?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mpesm
BRIT Award

Child license - who gets the permission from the school?

Post by Mpesm »

Morning all,

When you apply for a license it says that I would need "permission from child/young person's education provision", and I have seen too that permission would need to be granted from the headteacher - is this one of the same? Do I need to contact my DS headteacher and ask for a letter or does the agency do this or the LA?

Thank you
x
Chaffeurmum
BRIT Award

Re: Child license - who gets the permission from the school?

Post by Chaffeurmum »

We have always gone straight to the school ourselves for this letter, even when the production company contacted our local council directly for the license. I think it is easier that way as you already have a relationship with the school. If your headmaster received a request for such a letter, he would naturally ask you about it anyway I assume.

Good luck,
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

I think that modelling agencys sort out every thing for the licence but acting agencys tend to let you do all the licence so it usaly the parent who gets permision from the school. I give in a form already filled in so head teacher just has to sign it and put the schools stamp on form, much easer as if u see head in the morning can just catch her and get her to sign and stamp form, it takes more time if the school has to type the letter and print it then get the head to sign it.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It depends on your LEA.

I live on the border of 3 counties and have to get licences for children in all 3. One county has a form you have to hand in to to the headteacher for them to sign, return to you then you send it with the licence application to the LEA.

The other two LEA's contact the schools themselves, usually only if time off is required. I always advise parents to write the head a short note themselves just out of courtesy but the LEA insist on contacting them anyway.
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Thanks, that's really helpful. The agency is an acting agency and they said it is down to the parents as you have said. So the head just needs to sign the form then rather than a letter - that's better.

I would be interested to know of people's experience with obtaining permission from the head especially of it's during school time as I know our school is very strict with this sort of thing and does not allow any time off for holidays etc. during term time.
It depends on your LEA.

I live on the border of 3 counties and have to get licences for children in all 3. One county has a form you have to hand in to to the headteacher for them to sign, return to you then you send it with the licence application to the LEA.

The other two LEA's contact the schools themselves, usually only if time off is required. I always advise parents to write the head a short note themselves just out of courtesy but the LEA insist on contacting them anyway.
I have just spoken to my LEA and they said I would need to speak to the head to get permission myself, however, on their website it says they contact them but I am sure once I have done it for the first time it will make more sense.
caityevo
BRIT Award

Post by caityevo »

My dd has had to have loads of time off school over the past 2 years for theatre and tv work. I normally write to the head requesting permission and he will reply in letter form that I attach to the licenses. She has yet to be denied time off and on her attendance record it goes down as work exprience rather than absence.

Hope this helps
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Time of for acting is dif than holidays as because they are licenced they get a mark af if they are at school dose not effect the schools attendance alowance and if they work for 3 days or more have to get 3 hours schooling every school day. My ds did a cbeebies program where he had to have schooling for 5 weeks that year his grades went up after all 3 hours one to one teaching is better than having 30 in a class. I have alway said to head it a really good experance and at both junior and the school he is at now the head teachers look at it as another experance which will give the child a great experience. I think if every thing is explained to head that it's not like holiday that the child will still be able to get there mark and if the child can keep up with the schooling then can not see any problem. The only problem arises when a child has to keep taking time off school for auditions I have told agent that we won't do that now can get to the middle of London very quickly ds gets out of school 3.15 we can get to audition by 4.30.
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I will write to the Head once I have the need to apply for a license. The agency has said they do try to get auditions outside of school hours and I hope that this is the case the majority of the time.

Helpful napm'ers as ever.
x
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Just to say, you can apply to the head anytime you want, as their letter is valid for six months. It may be best to ask in advance, so you can test the water, incase they need a meeting, a talk, or to research, as they may have no experience in the matter, or may know little about it, as ours didn't.
nextinline
GRAMMY Award

Post by nextinline »

Unfortunately the rules are not interpreted the same in each county. In our county you have to have a form each time the kids do a job: you can't have one that goes for six months. However, I have always had a really good response from the Heads of my dd and ds. Best to cultivate a good relationship with the school and county plus make sure your kids keep up to date with their work.
Mpesm
BRIT Award

Post by Mpesm »

nextinline wrote:Unfortunately the rules are not interpreted the same in each county. In our county you have to have a form each time the kids do a job: you can't have one that goes for six months. However, I have always had a really good response from the Heads of my dd and ds. Best to cultivate a good relationship with the school and county plus make sure your kids keep up to date with their work.
Yes, that's the same with our LEA, a letter each time. I have told my ds that he has to keep up the good work because as soon as it falls they will have a reason to disallow (also a good carrot to dangle too!)

thanks again all.
xx
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

Mpesm wrote:I would be interested to know of people's experience with obtaining permission from the head especially of it's during school time as I know our school is very strict with this sort of thing and does not allow any time off for holidays etc. during term time.
my 2 go to school outside the borough we live in (which grants their licences) so i always write a note if they are in school holidays confirming this - even if it's mid-august and rather obvious!

ds's old headteacher was lovely chap, but would insist on writing a formal letter which took 2 or 3 valuable days to do - his new head is happy to sign and stamp my pre-prepared form

dd is now officially 16, but i still drop notes in to the school asking their formal permission for all absences, as i see no point in risking antagonising them
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
nancyboo

Post by nancyboo »

Sorry, I was aware certain things varied, but I wasn't aware that even this varied, since I was incorrectly informed by our LA that it didn't! Anyway, I would still be tempted to tell them about the matter and what it would mean, what you would require, before it happens, as there could be delays otherwise, which may lose your child an important role. I know of many people where this has happened and many schools which take ages to produce the letter, or even to sign the form. If you go in in the first instance and speak to the head, all agreeable, helpful and friendly, they're usually much more helpful and quick with such things. Again, that worked for us and I know others it worked for too.