Glee Summer School 2010 - Birmingham

Advertisements received about Opportunities for your child to attend workshop courses

Moderator: busybusybusy

emirose9397
Nominee

Glee Summer School 2010 - Birmingham

Post by emirose9397 »

This year Sarah Wright-Owens and Stephen Owens' annual musical theatre course is based on the 'Glee' concept from the popular TV series, creating a brand new musical using our own original story line featuring recent and past popular songs . The age range of participants will be 10-16 years. If you, or somebody you know, would enjoy a week of singing, acting and dancing culminating in a performance in the summer holidays, either email or ring for further information.
NB closing dates for applications is Monday 21st June but places are limited.......
When: 3rd-7th August
Where: The Academy of Music and Sound, Birmingham
Contact details: 07855 950 393
gleesummerschool@gmail.com
For all young adults aged 10-16

An informal audition will take place on the 27th June to enable the course organisers to plan the week and assign parts. If you are interested but cannot make the audition please still contact us as there is the possibility to arrange an alternative date.
As well as the participants gaining invaluable skills in singing, dancing and acting part of the course is to devise their own piece of theatre so (if they would like to) they will be given the opportunity to help write, direct, choreograph and perform their piece of original theatre under the guidance of professionals.

Stephen Owens has worked for over 20 years in the musical theatre business, being the musical director of shows such as Grease and Footloose on the West End and being musical director for many Royal Shakespeare Company Productions.
Sarah Wright-Owens runs a busy private teaching practice in Birmingham City centre where she gives singing and voice lessons to a wide range of professional and amateur vocal artists. She sang professionally for 20 years before retraining as a Speech and Language Therapist. She has been employed as Vocal Consultant on West End productions of Footloose and Grease as well as the National tour of We will Rock you.

Please email/ring if you are interested for more information.
paisleylady
Nominee

Re: Glee Summer School 2010 - Birmingham

Post by paisleylady »

paisleylady
Nominee

Post by paisleylady »

We can now confirm that the final performance will be in the Hexagon Theatre in the newly refurbished MAC!
orange_squash
BRIT Award

Post by orange_squash »

Its amazing how so many companies are trying to make money off the back of Glees huge success [-X [-( ](*,) #-o
paisleylady
Nominee

Post by paisleylady »

Sarah Wright-Owens and Stephen Owens run a different musical course every year, with performers from Footloose, Grease, We Will Rock You and Mary Poppins coming in. Each one is different and new, and it's exciting to be trying a new idea as well as creating a new story. Hopefully it will develop new skills for all involved as well as being fun. The new interest in show choirs has provided an opportunity to experiment with musical arrangements and use a huge variety of song and dancing styles in one show, so it's a great inspiration and I'm sure it will be an inspiration for many youth theatres around the country as well.
Last edited by paisleylady on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Which considering that performing rights are not available for Mary Poppins is a bit :oops:
paisleylady
Nominee

Post by paisleylady »

My mistake - performers from Mary Poppins have come to give workshops.
STEFFYSMUM
GRAMMY Award

Post by STEFFYSMUM »

personally i dont see anything wrong with this as its great for kids who like performing and especally if the parents are working and need child care. my dds theatre school are doing 2 weeks of glee and 1 week of wizard of oz and 4 weeks of fame. only works out about £20 a day from 8.30 till 5.30 which i think is great value not many childcare facilities would cost this. though my dd not going. :(
paisleylady
Nominee

Post by paisleylady »

I agree - the reason so many youth theatres are trying it out is because it's a chance to build up a whole new set of skills within performing and it is so much fun! This costs the same as all the previous summer schools, and we've responded to the fact that many young people have watched glee and want to have a go themselves. We're looking forward to it just as much (: