My Son's audtion for Kelly Management

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

lmcdaid
Nominee

My Son's audtion for Kelly Management

Post by lmcdaid »

My Son J attended his Audition at Kelly Managaement last Friday, unfortunatley they did'nt take him on. They said 'they loved his audition', but they felt 'he needed more expereince' and 'should continue with the NYT' and get in touch again in the future'.

He felt he did his peice well but was unprepaired for there interview questions, he also accecpted that he does has limited experience.

So I am asking what now? He has done a hanfull of school plays, and local theatre group (The Rose youth theatre Kingston) and two productions in The National Youth Theatre.

How could he get some more theatre/tv experince without an agent, is this possible? He is also doing the 'Higher acting Diploma' at Guilford college.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee x
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: My Son's audtion for Kelly Management

Post by Irishdancer »

Just because KM will not take yr ds dose not mean another wont but it dose get harder when u get to the adult range, he must be good to get into NYT saying that they do expect u to have good experience go onto Mandy.com, Talint Circle which are free and Starnow which u have to pay for and apply for short films on there, don't do extra work as that is not what agencies are looking for if I can get onto extra agencies then any one can most of the time all u are doing is sitting on a bus or walking up and down behind the main actors and if u do extra work all the time get known as a extra and will not get considered for a main role, if u lie and say u had a main role in this tv drama or film they will look it up on IMDb and if yr name is not there will no u where just an extra. Good luck to yr ds hope he finds an agent who will take him on
doris
GRAMMY Award

Post by doris »

I agree with irishdancer, if your ds gave a good impression with Kelly management, and good enough to get into NYT then definitely try at other agencies. Just because one agency says no doesn;t mean another one will. Kelly may already have other lads his age and looks on their books so may think it would be difficult to put your ds forward for parts if he doesn't have professional experience.

Go for the student/short film unpaid roles as irishdancer suggests. Try Talent Circle, Stars in my eyes, Casting Call Pro, the Casting website, Mandy.com and Starnow - some of these you have to pay to get info but others are free.

If you live in the Kingston/Surrey area then try getting in touch with (e.g.) Kingston Uni and UCA Farnham who have film studies courses and may have students looking for young actors to be in their productions.

Ask at his theatre group for help with audition preparation - not just the monologue but the questions too. There are several books around on the subject that might be worth getting hold of (ask the theatre group director).

All the best =D> :D
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

I would definitely say keep trying. My ds was rejected by two agencies, Jackie Palmer and JP Management as he did bad auditions, but walked through the door at Young Uns and was offered. When he had audition for Kelly Management, they werent sure about his 'castability' as he sang a song and it was a bit iffy. However they did take him as I pointed out he was being considered for US film role. I shouldnt say this here, but you have to be quite 'pushy' in this business, and just persevere. Once he had a couple of good things under his belt he moved to a much bigger London Agency who are amazing. Good luck
tassiebabe
BRIT Award

Post by tassiebabe »

What is the name of the bigger agency in London? Is it ARG? x
tassiebabe
BRIT Award

Post by tassiebabe »

Yeah thats true, United Agency and Independent talent are the same. Which agency is your DS at?
titania

Post by titania »

[quote][Yeah thats true, United Agency and Independent talent are the same. Which agency is your DS at?/quote]

I think you will find that Independant used to be ICM in this country and has split from the american arm as a result of the rules concerning funding of projects. United are different again.
fame
BRIT Award

Post by fame »

Hi my ds and dd went to kelly management last year and she toke them both on there and then ( age 3-8), and did get them both a job on ceebies, but because we could not make it on that day, she cancle her contact with us and said she was now only having 9+ on her books.
What i have found is that any agency that i have gone to in London are more then happy to take my two children on, but i cant always make it and with us not living near to London 3 hours drive when the trafic is good, i have to say no to more jobs then i can think of, i am thinking should we just sell up and move closer to London, but that means childre have to give up friends and a very good, And with what we could by in London or near to London(houses cost to much down there for something good) would not be the same as up here in the north. So will just have to do what i can and say yes when i can.
wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Post by wissymo »

hiya fame,we are also a 3 hour drive away from london but now use the virgin trains.It is 1 hour and 20 mins away to euston from stafford so
much easier and cheaper than driving as well! we pay £42.00 for me and ds return on any off peak train and can then do any homework/reading on the journey.
fame
BRIT Award

Post by fame »

Hi wissymo

Thats sounds good, the only problem is first i dont pay for patrol as my husbend gets it paid by work, also he does not want me to drive to London and i would not like to myself on my own, so it is when he goes to London or if he can go to London and see bussinse people we are alright. For me to go on a train i would have to pay for tree people,and you dont always get you travel money back when you do audtion also as i cant always get somebody to look after one of the children it can be ratter lot of money to pay out.
BC27
BRIT Award

Post by BC27 »

lmcdaid wrote:He felt he did his peice well but was unprepaired for there interview questions
Could I ask what sort of questions are asked at Kelly auditions?
Thanks,
BC27
ditzymum
BRIT Award

Post by ditzymum »

My daughter had interview with Kelly last month & she was also told she had insufficient experience. However I believe it had more to do with her answers to their questions. They asked what she likes to watch on TV and she mentioned lots of American programmes, this did not go down well! My advice, use brit dramas & programmes. They also asked who she most admired on TV or film. Their office is very small & we were practically sitting on top of each other, so ensure that your child is comfortable performing in front of you.
Hope this helps
BC27
BRIT Award

Post by BC27 »

Thanks so much for the info ditzymum. So you're asked your favourite programmes, and actors you admire. Anything else?
Thanks,
BC27
jodie
Nominee

Post by jodie »

Hi can you tell me what address the offices are .. I have 2 , one at garden studios and one at south molton . I would like to send my c v in by post rather than e mail but when i called them they said that they dont give address out , yet it says u can apply by post .... can you help . jodie
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

According to their website, applications are welcomed by e-mail. More details here: http://www.kelly-management.com/#/contact/4536237433