Please help newbie!

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancingv
Nominee

Please help newbie!

Post by Dancingv »

Hi everyone!

I 'm so happy I've found your website and forum, I have a just 6 year old daughter who is grade 1 ballet, she took her exam aged 5 and got an distinction! She has taken 2 prior exams and both times distinctions!

My problem is this year her dance school are putting on a performance in a few weeks and the nights are mainly school nights. The owner has told me that they want her to do all the evening performances like the rest of her class, but her class are mainly aged nearly 8 to 9 nearly 10, which is a huge age difference.

My husband has hit the roof as he thinks her school work will suffer as 3 of the nights are school nights. Previously she has done all or most nights since 3 years old but they have mainly fallen over the weekend.

Please help me, is there any laws that can tell you the max performances etc.
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Re: Please help newbie!

Post by Hecouldshine »

Hi Dancingv, welcome to NAPM :D

Well done to your daughter for her dancing successes. She sounds talented.

This is the down side of being ahead of her age group in her dance level. But if she is only 6, does it matter if she is a bit tired for school for 2 days? Would her school teacher let her go in later on those days? I think it would be a shame to miss out on the experience of doing all the shows, and her dance teacher probably thinks she is doing her a favour giving her all that experience. It might not go down that well if you start spouting law at her. Having said that someone on here who is a chaperone can probably quote you the licencing law side of it. She probably doesn't need a licence though :? so it may not apply.

Personally, I would give her all the performing experience she is offered at this stage :D its when they get to GCSEs that you should steel yourself for battles 8-[
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
mathsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by mathsmum »

well done your daughter for being so talented

when we had a similar situation that did require a licence, performances tues(i think) to sat were ok as it was one week only - but my daughter wqas over 9, which is a step change

agree with hcs - at 6, what's to suffer, she's not taking her gcse's, and she can catch the sleep up when it's over - but you could have a word with her school to ask if either she could go in late (my son has always been allowed to miss assemblies when performing, up to y8) or even skip one afternoon in the middle of the run for an afternoon's nap
Life is complex - some of it is real, some of it is imaginary.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Your dd can do up to four nights without a licence but she must be off stage by 10.00pm and must attend school. if any time off school is required a licence is needed.

Are the 3 school nights consecutive? I guess you know your dd and whether you think sh ewill ne tired or not. I would think 3 consecutive nights a lot but it is doable. I really wouldn't worry about your dd getting behind in her work, she is only 6, there is more to life than academics at that age (and my dd goes to a very academic private school).

At 7 dd did a show which ended at 10pm and we had an hour drive back. We had to be up at 7am to leave for school at 8am, she was tired but she did it however it was only one night.

IS your dd in the first half of the show? If so perhaps she could leave at the interval.
Tashy Bear
GRAMMY Award

Post by Tashy Bear »

Hi Dancingv,

I'm in agreement with both mathsmum and hecouldshine, what your daughter will gain both in experience and confidence is a lesson in itself and you are only talking of a couple of days. Both of my dd's schools (one primary, one secondary) are incredibly supportive of their extra carricular activities and positively encourage any of their children when it is plain to see that they have talented students who thoroughly enjoy these activities, whether they be drama based or otherwise. I would go so far as to say it makes them work even harder at school and we have never encountered a problem with school work standards. Admittedly there has to be a balance and school is extremely important but I think on reflection 2 days isn't going to put your daughter behind at school at the age of 6!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I'm amazed that your dd could do Grade 1 at age 5 though. I thought there was an age restriction of 7 or is that only RAD? Dd had to wait until her 7th birthday before she could take her exam.
Dancingv
Nominee

Post by Dancingv »

Thanks so much for all your replies and information. Yep it's 3 school nights plus a Saturday night. I am happy for her to do all of them as she would be leaving after her second half performance. The school are starting the show earlier this year due to problems of children still on stage at 10pm as previous shows have over ran.

The problem lies with her dad, he is very over zealous with things like this, which is a shame, I will let him know that plenty of other children do these performances and have no problems. Am speaking to her academic school today to ask if she can come in later.

She is part of the natd and I spoke to them with regards to her age, their limit is 6 years and as her birthday was in the same year as her exam they allowed her to. Also what helped that the lady at the exam head office new the school owner and knew that she wouldn't enter them without knowing the ability!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi Dancingv and welcome to NAPM!

I guess your daughter may be a bit further on than this little one then ;) =D>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdylQeg5B9I

This is how I felt in many of my classes at drama school...
Tashy Bear
GRAMMY Award

Post by Tashy Bear »

Thanks pg, she's just the most adorable little girl and a testiment to "never give up" !!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Isn't it sweet? A friend posted it on facebook and it struck me as apt for this thread. I hope it doesn't look like I'm hijacking it! I love the teacher's comment at the end: "it's ok if your shoes aren't doing it..."
That was always my problem, my shoes would never do it, even when I was in bare feet.

Back to the point of this thread: I agree with everyone else that having a few late nights and being a bit tired at school at this age is probably worth it for the experience. There's so much pleasure to be gained if this what she enjoys, as well as many useful skills to learn.
Dancingv
Nominee

Post by Dancingv »

Awwwww that little girl is just the cutest! Made me giggle thanks for that :0)

We are finally at an agreement dd can do all nights yay! Well, actually he gave up And said whatever!

Her school are allowing her to start at 9:45am each day which is lovely,

Thanks again for all your help and welcoming messages.

Re reading my first post she's grade 1 now and took her primary exam aged 5, sorry it was really early and my brain doesn't function before a cuppa!

Thanks again xxx
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I'm with you there. The children know NEVER to use the last of the milk at breakfast time. They have to leave enough for "mummy's cup of tea"
Dancingv
Nominee

Post by Dancingv »

Hello lovelies!

Just a quick update and note to say thank u so much for all your advice. My little girl managed all performances and even sneaked in the theatre to watch the act 3. She loved every second of it.

Her school were brilliant and allowed to start at 9.45 and she was excused fro
Pe during the show.

She is so excited about next years already!

Thanks again xxx
doris
GRAMMY Award

Post by doris »

That's great news that it all worked out well. Good luck to your dd for the future! :D