West End Stage Summer School

Advertisements received about Opportunities for your child to attend workshop courses

Moderator: busybusybusy

fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

West End Stage Summer School

Post by fairywhisperart »

Could anyone help me to decide ........i have seen the literature for West End Stage Summer School and it all looks great but it is costly and i would have to stay in London while my son attends. I would like to hear from other people whos children have attended just to reasssure myself that i am doing the right thing.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Re: West End Stage Summer School

Post by francescasmum »

We are thinking about this too. DD did Sylvia Young last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, even said she wanted to attend full time (but she is only 8 so I have a few years to change her mind!) but the dates for SY clash with the Olympics and there is no chance of getting a hotel and we are in the same boat, we need to stay over.
fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

I was also tempted with Sylvia Young but my son is really keen on West End Stage......i've priced it up at just under £1000!!! Eeeeek!!!! better get saving. He has a talent for singing and dancing although not trained. Just started singing lessons and his teacher is amazed at his voice. She has not come accross another child like it she says, which is all a bit of a shock to me. He has enjoyed prancing around the living room since toddler age.....now i just need to find out what he enjoys and is capable of doing.
Coco
GRAMMY Award

Post by Coco »

Hi fairywhisperart, :D

I was wondering how old your son is ? I don't know much about the West End Stage course, but I do know the national youth music theatre summer course, is extremely good aparently, but I think they might have to be over eleven for that one.
Also some regional theatres have summer youth programmes where they perform a musical in a couple of weeks. These tend to be much, much cheaper and often absolutely brilliant ! You could try contacting any theatres in striking distance of your home to see it they run any.
fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

Thanks Coco......my son is only 10 so unfortunately just misses out. Locally, i have checked around (leicestershire) and there doesn't seem to be much on. I'm going to see if i can persuade my son to go to Sylvia Young in February or maybe a taster session which will work out cheaper. Now i wish i lived in London!!!! It seems you miss out on lots of things if you're not in that catchment :roll:
jenufa
BRIT Award

Post by jenufa »

Hi there fairywhisperart, have registered my 9 yr old boy for SY Feb half term course only today! Let me know if you do too! Like you, I've looked around locally and there is very little going on here, so I'm hoping that it will be money well-spent as it is such a highly regarded theatre school.
Selina2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Selina2 »

fairywhisperart wrote:Thanks Coco......my son is only 10 so unfortunately just misses out. Locally, i have checked around (leicestershire) and there doesn't seem to be much on. I'm going to see if i can persuade my son to go to Sylvia Young in February or maybe a taster session which will work out cheaper. Now i wish i lived in London!!!! It seems you miss out on lots of things if you're not in that catchment :roll:
The New Youth Theatre in Leicester is good for Musical Theatre, they haven't announced their summer schools yet though.
http://www.newyouththeatre.co.uk/leicester/
fairywhisperart
BRIT Award

jenufa wrote:Hi there fairywhisperart, have registered my 9 yr old boy for SY Feb half term course only today! Let me know if you do too! Like you, I've looked around locally and there is very little going on here, so I'm hoping that it will be money well-spent as it is such a highly regarded theatre school.
I think my son is quite keen on this now....will be booking shortly. Sylvia Young have some hotels listed which dont work out too bad price wise. This is definately going to work out cheaper than in the summer holidays. I will let you know when i've booked :)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

fairywhisperart, I have sent you a PM :D
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Flo went along to Sylvia Young last Easter and is booked to go again in February. She enjoyed it last time, especially the singing and acting classes. They don't do a performance at the end of the week, but parents are invited into the classes.

Flo has also been to West End Stage summer school twice. The first time she was the youngest in the school at 8 and a bit. She had a great time, it pushed her skills and she made good friends. Last year it wasn't quite as exciting for her but she still had a great time. They have a very clever way of staging the shows at the end if each week (at Her Majesty's Theatre) which allows each child to have a decent role to play and - although they have hundreds of kids attending the school - you don't have to sit through lots of other kids' 'face time'. Although Flo would like to go again this year I'm holding back - first because the Olympics may well affect room availability and second because I think she may not get quite as much out of it a third time. And it is pricey.

When we stay in London I book a student apartment for the week. Not cheap, but you get a lot of space and you can self-cater, which saves a fortune.

So...any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

Deb x
Helen Walton
BRIT Award

Post by Helen Walton »

Hi Fairy whisper art

I know its not London but alot cheaper option is the Birmingham Hippodrome do a summer school its about £100 a week and cater for age groups

My dd did it last year for 1 week and this time wants to do 2 weeks
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

Does anyone have any experience of the GSA summer courses?
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Helen Walton wrote:Hi Fairy whisper art

I know its not London but alot cheaper option is the Birmingham Hippodrome do a summer school its about £100 a week and cater for age groups

My dd did it last year for 1 week and this time wants to do 2 weeks
I also heard that this is good - but get on the mailing list as places are snapped up very quickly!

Deb x