Help!

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Help!

Post by wissymo »

Does anyone know the Law regarding children having time off school for filming?
My ds's school are holding a meeting today to decide whether they will continue to authorise time off for him to film!
Their decision today will there for decide whether he has to come off his agency's book.
He has missed no time at all since September and i needed to authorise 8 days for February!
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Re: Help!

Post by missmoneypenny »

Oh no!!! What an awful situation!! I am not certain on the law but can tell you what my school do - they allow us 10 days basically without question, then for other days over that they look at it on a job by job basis - all worked well so far but they are always very 'pursed lipped' about it! If there are 8 days filming in school time then there will a tutor in place for him so I can't see how the school (or the LEA) can object?? Don't you wish that these schools would see it as the fabulous ad enriching opportunity it so often is :( I hope that they come back to you with a positive and supportive response - they should find a place for performing skills on the G&T register as they do for sports.

If they say no would you think of moving him to a more supportive school?

Good luck xxx
wissymo
GRAMMY Award

Post by wissymo »

Thanks for you reply,i have taken some points on board there,i have to put a letter together now with points i want mentioned in the meeting.
He won't actually be going anywhere on the 8 day job as he is backup and it if filming overseas so doesn't even actually need time off at all!!
Its future support thats hanging in the balance here.
I have just been told that legally they are allowed 40 days per year to film
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

Oh that's useful to know - don't think we have ever gone up to that many! Good luck! x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Cheshire LEA publish on their website a useful guide for schools which basically says they have to have good solid reasons for refusing and parents can appeal with the decision ultimately coming down to the education welfare officer, not the head teacher.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Think they can film more than 40 days years ago it was 30 days for under 13 and 60 for 13 and over, I had this problem with one of my ds I changed school and never looked back, first week he moved I cryed evey day wondering if I had done the right thing, worked out really well in the end was a much better school any way.
WendyB
BRIT Award

Post by WendyB »

Hi. Where did you find out about the 40 day allowance? It would probably depend on your child's performance in school too wouldn't it? Our (primary) school have been supportive so far, but Ds hasn't done much. I hope the secondary school are going to be as good. :?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Schools seem to very often mix up the 10 days head teachers discretion on holiday which is nothing to do with performing a d the regulations regarding child performing days/hours. Whilst a head may at their discretion use the so called 10 days for auditions the number of days a child can perform/film per year is different.

There is a yearly maximum but its quite a lot and I can't locate in all my paperwork what that maximum is.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Keeping everything crossed for you.