Fees

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Sweep
BRIT Award

Fees

Post by Sweep »

Can anyone throw any light on the fees for colleges like Arts Ed and Mountview? They run a degree MT course and set their fees at just over £12k per year but it seems to state that the student loan from the government will only cover about £6k of this. I'm confused! If you can get a student loan for £9k for other degree courses elsewhere why not here? Or have I misunderstood? Any help would be much appreciated. #-o
amanda
GRAMMY Award

Re: Fees

Post by amanda »

I think it is because they are private colleges. Earth shatteringly expensive isn't it? :(
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

I was hoping I was wrong. :? It's a real dilemma. Should she go for an audition and hope if she did get an offer that we could also get a scholarship from somewhere like ALW or win the lottery or hope we can find the pennies!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My ds is in his final year on the MT BA course at Arts Ed and I am afraid that you only get £6,000 towards the fees in the form of the student loan which does seem really unfair. You are also entitled to the maintenance loan which is just under £5,000 for living costs. I have no idea why you are not able to get the full loan of £9,000. After all, it is a loan and has to be repaid as opposed to a grant. I don't see why it should stop your dd from auditioning though. After all, she may be one of the lucky ones selected to audition for the ALW scholarship (Arts Ed have one a year) and if not, then it is great experience.
All new to me!
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

Thank you, good to know I'm not going mad. And yes it is top of her list so have to go for it. It won't be until next year, but trying to plan ahead to avoid too much stress. Has your ds loved every minute ?
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Sweep - ds has absolutely loved the past three years of blood, sweat and tears (not to mention expense)!! Although it is expensive, I think it is worth the sacrifice. The days are 10 hours long five days a week so at least you can see where the money is going unlike a lot of degree courses which can have as little as 7 hours a week of tutorials. Good luck next year and let us know how things go.
All new to me!
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

Thanks Caroline. I'm so pleased. I imagined it would be. Good luck to ur ds with the rest of his time there and the big world beyond. Couldn't ask for a better start. I'll keep u posted about our journey too. :)