Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by lawn »

After whirlwind trips to look at both locations, DD has decided to take up her offer at East Fifteen. Various reasons but including that IC course is very similar to what she's just been doing.
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

DD has two weeks (by 16th June) to accept her offer BA MT at IC and then a deposit payment will be due to secure the place….hanging on til the very end in the very slim chance of word from Arts Ed…if there are boys still undecided on their places there I don’t think that will help her as I am sure they will want to keep the male/female ratio about even on the course… hey ho just trying to keep positive!!🙄. She could be in a far worst position!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MimisMum wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:58 pm DD has two weeks (by 16th June) to accept her offer BA MT at IC and then a deposit payment will be due to secure the place….hanging on til the very end in the very slim chance of word from Arts Ed…if there are boys still undecided on their places there I don’t think that will help her as I am sure they will want to keep the male/female ratio about even on the course… hey ho just trying to keep positive!!🙄. She could be in a far worst position!
I don't know. DD was on a reserve list for a foundation last year (acting) . She emailed to see if there was any movement - end of July, got a reply saying they were looking at it, 3 days later they messaged her back to say a place had become available hers if she wanted it, that was a boy who'd given his place up for a degree he'd been offered. It'll depend on how they're operating their waiting list.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

MimisMum wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:58 pm DD has two weeks (by 16th June) to accept her offer BA MT at IC and then a deposit payment will be due to secure the place….hanging on til the very end in the very slim chance of word from Arts Ed…if there are boys still undecided on their places there I don’t think that will help her as I am sure they will want to keep the male/female ratio about even on the course… hey ho just trying to keep positive!!🙄. She could be in a far worst position!
Also worth noting that IC give the deposit back if you change your mind within 14 days of accepting the offer. After that point it is tricky to cancel as potentially you could be liable to pay some of the fees as well depending on how close to the start of the course you cancel...that's according to their Ts & Cs anyway!
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

lotsolaffs wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:58 pm
stageybekah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Hello- does anyone have a timetable or know the start/end stones of each day at GSA for actor-musks? Or any course. DD is trying to work around a part time job and joining societies but we already know GSA have different term dates to surrey (they have their own freshers to begin with, so it’s harder to make friends outside of the performing arts)?
Mine is just finishing 2nd year MT at GSA - I can't keep up with what hours she does, usually she goes in at 8am and finishes 6/7pm, sometimes an early finish / late start.
Many have part time jobs at weekends, mine does Princess parties and event waitressing, there are lots of job opportunities in Guildford.
She knows a fair few Actor Museos so she could ask for you if that's any help? I think they all mix very well within GSA, mine has friends in all years in all subjects, is she going into halls?
That’s insanely busy wow. Yes she is going into halls, which is great as she’ll meet other people there. Just worried about getting a job that will only let let work one day a week (being used to london where things close at 9/10 so she had after college shifts, whereas things close in guildford very early!)
stageybekah
Nominee

Post by stageybekah »

stageybekah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Hello- does anyone have a timetable or know the start/end stones of each day at GSA for actor-musks? Or any course. DD is trying to work around a part time job and joining societies but we already know GSA have different term dates to surrey (they have their own freshers to begin with, so it’s harder to make friends outside of the performing arts)?
Mine is just finishing 2nd year MT at GSA - I can't keep up with what hours she does, usually she goes in at 8am and finishes 6/7pm, sometimes an early finish / late start.
Many have part time jobs at weekends, mine does Princess parties and event waitressing, there are lots of job opportunities in Guildford.
She knows a fair few Actor Museos so she could ask for you if that's any help? I think they all mix very well within GSA, mine has friends in all years in all subjects, is she going into halls?
That’s insanely busy wow. Yes she is going into halls, which is great as she’ll meet other people there. Just worried about getting a job that will only let let work one day a week (being used to london where things close at 9/10 so she had after college shifts, whereas things close in guildford very early!)
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

mrs_lovett wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:57 pm
Also worth noting that IC give the deposit back if you change your mind within 14 days of accepting the offer. After that point it is tricky to cancel as potentially you could be liable to pay some of the fees as well depending on how close to the start of the course you cancel...that's according to their Ts & Cs anyway!
Last year we knew someone who with 3 weeks to go turned down IC foundation (which has student finance funding) in favour of a foundation elsewhere that he got a scholarship to. He was able to cancel his student finance, though he didn't find it a simple task.

We were also able to cancel DD's student financing even though the drama school she was going to had a top up fee for degree when she also got a last minute offer elsewhere with just 5 weeks to go.

In both cases only the deposit was lost, but yes worth checking out IC's t 8 cs.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

stageybekah wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:26 am
Just sending a PM
MimisMum
Nominee

Post by MimisMum »

Thanks for your comments Mrs_Lovett, I have been a bit concerned about accepting and declining offers….we are going to forfeit one deposit this week and pay another….good advice re T&Cs at IC,I did check, there is a 14 day period that a deposit is refunded after acceptance of offer date…need to have another look and see the fine print and if we would get charged a part payment for term fees if in the event DD gets the offer she wants later….DD hasn’t called Arts Ed yet as she didn’t want to appear ‘pushy’….the impression I get is that it’s would only reinforce to them that she is super keen!
All the replies have been most helpful…I appreciate we are not in the typical Uni process like a lot of our friends, so thanks for the reassurance.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I think it ia worth contacting ArtsEd Mimismum. A girl DD knows from her 6th form college has just been offered a place from the Reserve list - so there is movement. We would be like you and not want to look "pushy" but I do think a call from a keen student could make a positive difference. DD says she knows of one girl who has accepted GSA (due to student finance) and another has accepted Mountview as she's been offered a DADA there but not at ArtsEd. This is only what I've heard from DD so might be totally wrong! It's all via social media! Good luck!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I think amos post makes a good point about funding and why others have declined. Before making any phone call MimisMum I'd have a look at finances first. I've no idea how Arts Ed offer degree or diploma but consider how much will need paying in top up fees for degree, how much the Dada contribution would be plus any costs or if it's affordable if no funding at all. If each scenario is financially feasible then all well and good, if only some are then perhaps better to be aware of that beforehand should a place be offered.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

The students ar ArtsEd who are awarded the diploma are those on a DADA. The rest - the vast majority - are awarded a degree. I believe DADA recipients get a degree awarded too. They're all on the same course - it's just how it's funded. DADAs, if awarded, are based on household income from the previous tax year (regardless of current income or that of an absent parent) so we know of students from affluent families getting fees fully paid plus a contribution to living costs. There are also bursaries - but they seem to be awarded to students from abroad who are not eligible for student finance, those with no parental support and to those who have had a dramatic change of circumstance since applying. That's possibly ths same at all colleges. Scholarships are generally in Year 2 and 3 - apart from the Andrew Lloyd Webber Scholarship which is awarded in the first year. There is no correlation between being up for DADAs and this award, nor whether you were originally on a reserve list. So there is possible financial support down the line. No idea really how decisions are made so be prepared to pay the full top up fees (around £9k) but do look at local awards/grants as there might be something available to help.
Another thing to consider is if your income goes up, your student maintenance loan goes down the following year. I'm beginning to think the extra hours I'm putting in might not be worth it in the long run!
DD would not wish to be training anywhere else, loves living in Chiswick, is making good progress and is happy. I can't ask for anything more! (although a bit of financial help from ArtsEd would have been great!)
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

amo185 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:23 am The students ar ArtsEd who are awarded the diploma are those on a DADA. The rest - the vast majority - are awarded a degree. I believe DADA recipients get a degree awarded too. They're all on the same course - it's just how it's funded. DADAs, if awarded, are based on household income from the previous tax year (regardless of current income or that of an absent parent) so we know of students from affluent families getting fees fully paid plus a contribution to living costs. There are also bursaries - but they seem to be awarded to students from abroad who are not eligible for student finance, those with no parental support and to those who have had a dramatic change of circumstance since applying. That's possibly ths same at all colleges. Scholarships are generally in Year 2 and 3 - apart from the Andrew Lloyd Webber Scholarship which is awarded in the first year. There is no correlation between being up for DADAs and this award, nor whether you were originally on a reserve list. So there is possible financial support down the line. No idea really how decisions are made so be prepared to pay the full top up fees (around £9k) but do look at local awards/grants as there might be something available to help.
Another thing to consider is if your income goes up, your student maintenance loan goes down the following year. I'm beginning to think the extra hours I'm putting in might not be worth it in the long run!
DD would not wish to be training anywhere else, loves living in Chiswick, is making good progress and is happy. I can't ask for anything more! (although a bit of financial help from ArtsEd would have been great!)
If you're at the point where they are only receiving the min maintenance loan anyway, it won't make any difference. If they receive more than the minimum then yes if you're earning more that would affect their loan as income is assessed every year for degree.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Anyone wondering if they'll still be movement if their DC is on reserve lists, then yes there could be. DD has confirmed today to IC that she is taking an offer elsewhere, so someone on reserve for foundation acting will be offered the place.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Bit of advice needed if poss please. Just booked dd on GSA open day (can’t believe I’m starting this all over again) and wondered how long to give us to look round? Oldest dd’s open days were more or less full days with classes etc but GSA (as it’s part of a ‘normal’ Uni) doesn’t look like it runs the same way, we’ve booked the meeting for 2.30pm which says lasts 50mins but just wondered if anyone knew how much more we’d have to look round.
Also, any other suggestions of less ‘dancey’ colleges? Dd still wants to do musical theatre but wants a more even split between singing/dancing/acting. Eldest dd is at Wilkes which youngest dd has decided is too ‘dancey’ for her, she is a very good dancer but it’s her least favourite of the 3.
Any advice is appreciated thanks.